Photo by: DonnaMarie Photography
Salted Caramel Sauce
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Combine the sugar, water, and the corn syrup in a large saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. Cover the saucepan and let it cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
3. After 3 minutes, remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
4. Do not stir from this point on...."swirl" the liquid around the pan so that the caramel doesn’t burn.
5. Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
6. VERY CAREFULLY Pour the heavy cream into the mixture. The mixture will bubble up significantly and is very hot.7. Stir the mixture, again being careful. Add the butter, lemon juice, and salt. Stir until combined.
8. Pour mixture into a heat proof bowl.. Stirring occasionally, allow to cool until thick like molasses and warm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
(Store extra in a sealed container in the refrigerator.)
Salted Caramel Sauce
Salted Caramel Frosting
2 sticks butter at room temperature
8 ounces of cream cheese
3-4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup salted caramel sauce (recipe above)
1. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
2. Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar into the butter/cream cheese mixture and beat to combine.
3. Add 1 cup of the salted caramel and beat to combine.
4. Add additional powdered sugar until the frosting is the consistency you desire.
5. Beat until light & fluffy (about 3 minutes)
To frost cake...begin by using the handle end of a wooden spoon & poke holes all over the entire cake.
Pour about 1 cup of caramel sauce over cake & spread quickly so that it drips down into the holes.
Allow to settle (about 3 minutes)
Spread frosting onto cake & add pecan or walnuts.
Using your wooden spoon, drizzle caramel sauce over cake.
Hope you enjoy!!!!